I have been casually dropping references to the upcoming event that I’m not particularly looking forward to, not because I know I can’t expect my blogger buddies to get me Robert Downey Jr gift wrapped and delivered at my doorstep..*address will be provided if requested* but because I’m being so cliché and there’s this underlying panic at turning 21.
21, 21,21 Yup. No matter how many times I say/type it, it doesn’t get less terrifying. Now why should one be afraid of turning ** years old, which sounds like a very pretty number too. I have a list. Yup, A LIST.
1. EVERY WOMAN in my family(mom’s and dad’s side) are either married or in a happy relationship by the time they are 21.
Me? Unless you count drooling(not over the other person’s appeal but by falling asleep) over a pizza while your over enthusiastic crush explained the glory of an overhead kick as a date, I haven’t been in ANY.
P.S. There was a brief post where I daringly mentioned I was entering into a fling..*coughs* Let’s just say the nun in me and the d*** on him had very different plans. Waiting for substance, always prevails in the end.
2. I don’t know how to cartwheel. Is it how to do a cartwheel? Or how to cartwheel? Ugh! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING.
3. I’m still very much under daddy’s pay roll. And will be so for a long, long time. The joys of enrolling in a course that lasts 5 and a half years are never ending.
4. I can’t ride a scooter. I’m terrified of riding anything with my entire body out in the open as easy bait. Except cycles. The cute horns alleviate whatever terror I have.
5. I don’t want to be the “bigger” person and give things up. Now it will be “Mythili, come on you are 21 YEARS OLD. Just give that mini Iron Man suit to him for God’s sake! He’s just 4.”
6. Now that I’m officially “legal”, I have to explain it to people that I prefer drinking coke to alcohol. My inner swag will be revealed to all as non-existent. *sighs*
7. I won’t be able to throw smug smiles at the back of the security’s head when he passes me and asks others for their ID while watching some good old fashioned gambling. Since I’m legally ALLOWED to be there. Not that I know any gambling spots here or anything…but that’s not the point.
8. If I get older, then my mom gets older too. That sucks. The only silver lining is, so does my grandad. But people like him will survive the apocalypse.
9. In another year, I’ll feel lame shopping at forever 21.
10. I haven’t even started playing candy crush – which is our generation’s legacy. And you thought I didn’t have any real goals!
See? Perfectly justified reasons. I have decided to be mature and deal with the situation head-on. We will all be jumping from Nov 1 to Nov 3 with no pause in between. No one will ever know. Thank you for your co-operation. I’m going to stay 20 for a long long time.